Gridded bathymetry data
GEBCO provides global bathymetry data sets for the world's oceans.
GEBCO's gridded bathymetric data sets are available to download from the British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC).
- The GEBCO_2014 Grid — a global 30 arc-second grid largely generated by combining quality-controlled ship depth soundings with interpolation between sounding points guided by satellite-derived gravity data. In areas where they improve on the existing grid, data sets generated by other methods have been included. Land data are largely based on the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM30) gridded digital elevation model. A ‘source identifier’, SID, grid is also available to download to accompany the GEBCO_2014 Grid. This shows which grid cells have been constrained by bathymetry data during the gridding process.
- User Guide to the GEBCO_2014 Grid (461 KB)
- The GEBCO One Minute Grid — a global one arc-minute grid
Released: 2003, updated: 2008 — largely based on the most recent set of bathymetric contours contained within the GEBCO Digital Atlas.
The data are made available from this web application in the form of netCDF files and can be used with Generic Mapping Tools (GMT) software system.
Software is available to download for viewing and accessing data from the global grid files in ASCII as well as netCDF.
The gridded data sets are included as part of the GEBCO Digital Atlas (GDA).
Note on vertical datum and GEBCO's grids
GEBCO's global elevation models are generated by the assimilation of heterogeneous data types assuming all of them to be referred to mean sea level. However, in some shallow water areas, the grids include data from sources having a vertical datum other than mean sea level. We are working to understand how best to fully assimilate these data.
GEBCO's grids are not to be used for navigation or for any other purpose involving safety at sea.
Find out more
- Grid update history
- Improving GEBCO's grid in shallow water regions
- Reported bugs listed on the data set errata pages at BODC.
- View imagery of the seafloor
- Land data — Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data set
- User Guide to the GEBCO One Minute Grid (784 KB)
- Version 2.0 of the GEBCO One Minute Grid (353 KB)