The GEBCO Sub-Committee on Undersea Feature Names (SCUFN) maintains and makes available a digital gazetteer of the names, generic feature type and geographic position of features on the sea floor.
The gazetteer is available to view and download via a web map application, hosted by the International Hydrographic Organization Data Centre for Digital Bathymetry (IHO DCDB) co-located with the US National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC).
The data are available in a number of formats including spreadsheet, shapefile, KML, WMS and ArcGIS layer and can be accessed as a REST-style API.
Name proposals can be submitted to SCUFN for consideration for inclusion in the gazetteer.
Find out about
- How to view and download data from the gazetteer. See the application’s help file for information on how to access the data in KML, WMS, ArcGIS layer and REST-style API formats.
- Data set acknowledgement
- The role of SCUFN
- Guidelines and nomenclature
- Undersea feature terms and definitions web search
- Submitting name proposals
- Reports of SCUFN meetings
Please include the following citation when data from the gazetteer are used or reproduced in reports, presentations and other products:
IHO-IOC GEBCO Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names, www.gebco.net
The setting up of SCUFN arose from the need for a uniform policy for the handling of geographical names and the standardisation of undersea feature names. This was done in order to achieve consistent naming on bathymetric maps and nautical charts.
The role of SCUFN is
- To define the nomenclature used for undersea features, e.g. canyon, plateau, fracture zone, etc., as well as naming guidelines
- To consider and decide on names that have been submitted to the Sub-Committee
All names selected by SCUFN are contained in the IHO-IOC GEBCO Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names, IHO publication B-8.
The Secretariat of SCUFN is at the International Hydrographic Bureau, Monaco, where the gazetteer database is maintained.
Guidelines and nomenclature are contained in IHO-IOC Publication B-6 "Standardisation of Undersea Feature Names". Please note that the English/French version of B-6 at the link below is the latest version of the document (4.1.0, September 2013). The other language versions of this edition of B-6 will be prepared and made available shortly.
- English/French version (227 KB)
- English/Spanish version (612 KB)
- English/Korean version (479 KB)
- English/Japanese version (820 KB)
- English/Russian version (771 KB)
- English/Chinese version (764 KB)
Romanization of Russian Geographical Names (UN System)
Access the undersea feature terms and definitions web search. This includes imagery illustrating the feature types.
To submit a name proposal, download and return a name proposal submission form
Return forms to
International Hydrographic Bureau (IHB)
Principality of Monaco
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission
SCUFN meets on a yearly basis. Access reports from past meetings.
- 26th SCUFN Meeting, Tokyo, Japan, 23-27 September 2013 (1.3 Mbytes)
- 25th SCUFN Meeting, Wellington, New Zealand, 23-27 October 2012 (3 Mbytes)
- 24th SCUFN Meeting, Beijing, China, 12-16 September 2011 (1.6 Mbytes)
- 23rd SCUFN Meeting, Lima, Peru, 11-14 September 2010 (979 KB)
- 22nd SCUFN Meeting, Brest, France, 22-26 September 2009 (1026 KB)
- 21st SCUFN Meeting, Jeju Island, Republic of Korea, 19-22 May 2008 (727 KB)
- 20th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, 9-13 July 2007 (662 KB)
- 19th SCUFN Meeting, Bremerhaven, Germany, 21-23 June 2006 (378 KB)
- 18th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, 3-6 October 2005 (279 KB)
- 17th SCUFN Meeting, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, 8-11 June 2004 (277 KB)
- 16th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, 10-12 April 2003 (354 KB)
- 15th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, 7-10 October 2002 (1481 KB)
- 14th SCUFN Meeting, Tokyo, Japan 17-20 April 2001 (487 KB)
- 13th SCUFN Meeting, Dartmouth, NS, Canada, June 1999 (563 KB)
- 12th SCUFN Meeting, Taunton, UK, June 1997
- 11th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, May 1995
- 10th SCUFN Meeting, La Jolla, CA, USA, May 1993
- 9th SCUFN Meeting, Leningrad, (now, St Petersburg), Soviet Union, (now, Russian Federation), June 1991
- 8th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, May 1989
- 7th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, April 1987
- 6th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, April 1985
- 5th SCUFN Meeting, Ottawa, ON, Canada, April 1981
- 4th SCUFN Meeting, Monaco, October 1980
- 3rd SCUFN Meeting, Patricia Bay, BC, Canada, April 1978
- 2nd SCUFN Meeting, Ottawa, ON, Canada, February 1976
- 1st SCUFN Meeting, Dartmouth, NS, Canada, March 1975