The GEBCO community is pleased to welcome the students just beginning the 2018/2019 class of the Nippon Foundation/GEBCO Training Programme at the University of New Hampshire.
Welcome to the Nippon Foundation/GEBCO students — class of 2016/2017
The GEBCO community is pleased to welcome the students just beginning the 2016/2017 class of the Nippon Foundation/GEBCO Training Programme.
This 12-month course leads to a Postgraduate Certificate in Ocean Bathymetry (PCOB) and aims to train a new generation of scientists and hydrographers in ocean bathymetry.
The course is held at the Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping / Joint Hydrographic Center at the University of New Hampshire (UNH), USA and is now at the start of its 13th year. Funding for the programme is provided by the Nippon Foundation of Japan.
GEBCO and the Nippon Foundation jointly select six students each year out of many applicants on the basis of a number of criteria such as previous education, support/endorsement of home organisation and likelihood of working in ocean mapping upon completion. Since it began, a total of 78 scholars have taken part in the course. They represent 35 coastal states — helping to create and strengthen GEBCO's links in all regions of the world.
This year’s students from left to right in the above image:
- Ivan Ryzhov is a PhD student and researcher at the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation.
- Dr Masanao Sumiyoshi is a hydrographer in the Hydrographic and Oceanographic Department of the Japan Coast Guard (JHOD).
- Dr Mohamed Elsaied is a researcher in the Marine Geology & Geophysics Laboratory of the Marine Environment Department at the National Institute of Oceanography & Fisheries in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Tinah Martin is a program assistant in the Sustainable Fisheries Programme for the NGO Blue Ventures providing technical guidance to stakeholders in the Southwest of Madagascar.
- Sattiabaruth Seeboruth is a surveyor for the Mauritian Ministry of Housing and Lands in Ebene, Mauritius.
- Pichet Puahengsup is a Commander in the Thai Navy.
The image below shows the home countries of the Nippon Foundatio/GEBCO Training Programme scholars.