Information at this site
- is general information provided by GEBCO to publicise its activities and disseminate information relating to its work
- is subject to the usual uncertainties of research
- is subject to change without notice
- should never be relied on as the basis for doing or failing to do something
Links to and from this site
- are not endorsed by GEBCO
- are for convenience only and do not mean that GEBCO endorses or approves of those other sites, their content or the people who run them
- are the responsibility of the internet user to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and correctness of information found
All information provided by GEBCO on its web pages is made available to provide immediate access for the convenience of interested persons. Whilst GEBCO believes the information to be reliable, human or mechanical error remains a possibility. Therefore, GEBCO does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or correct sequencing of the information. Neither GEBCO nor any of the sources of the information shall be responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the use of, or results obtained from, the use of this information.
GEBCO is essentially a deep ocean product and does not include detailed bathymetry for shallow shelf waters. Even to the present day, most areas of the world’s oceans have not been fully surveyed and, for the most part, bathymetric mapping is an interpretation based on random tracklines of data from many different sources. The quality and coverage of data from these sources is highly variable. Although the GEBCO grid is presented at one minute intervals of latitude and longitude, this does not imply that knowledge is available on sea floor depth at this resolution - the depth in most one minute squares of the world’s oceans has yet to be measured.
GEBCO's data sets are not to be used for navigation or for any purpose relating to safety at sea.